- Woman’s Health Resource Center offers birthing classes. They have a 6 week class and/or a weekend intensive class. Check their upcoming classes for times and dates.
- Alice Peck Day Hospital offers traditional childbirth classes teaching various relaxation techniques, as well as options for your birth experience and pain management. Call (603) 448-7411 for more information.
Breastfeeding Support and Information
- La Leche League of the Upper Valley (Evening meetings are held the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Morning meetings are held the first Friday of the month at 10:00 a.m.) For questions or information, contact leader Debbie at (603526-4816)
- Women’s Health Resource Center in Lebanon offers support and classes on breastfeeding. Check there upcoming events for the upcoming events. They also offer informal weight checks at their Thursday mornings 4th Trimester 10am-12pm) group. Suzanne is an excellent resource for any questions and support needed. The Woman’s Health Resource Center also sells/rents breast pumps and supplies.
- Keene Medical Supplies (240 Meriden Road, Lebanon) rents breast pumps.
- DHMC has a lactation clinic. The Lactation Clinic is open Monday through Friday. Call (603) 650-6159 for more information.
Family Support Centers/Services
- Women’s Health Resource Center in Lebanon offers parenting and baby classes including birth classes. They also offer a large book lending library.
- The Family Place in Norwich offers parenting and baby programs including: Infant Massage; Confident Parent, Cooperative Child; Beth’s Books
- Good Beginnings of the Upper Valley offers a home-visitor program for new parents. Call Ann Bradley at (603) 448-6826 for more information.
- Family Health Program at the Visiting Nurse Alliance offers programs for pregnancy and new babies (nurse visits & support), fatherhood (activities & support groups), and family support (playgroups, parenting skills, resources). Contact Mary King at (603) 448-1597 for more information.
- The Child Care Project in Hanover offers information and assistance in locating child care providers in the Upper Valley. Call (603) 643-3233 for more information.
- Upper Valley Babysitters is a local yahoo group with a data base of local sitters many of which come with local “mom approval and recommendations”.
- Creative Spirit Children’s Center: 4 STAR, State Licensed center for 25 children, ages 6 weeks to 12 years. Open 7am-5:30pm. Located on Westshire bus route, RT 113 in West Fairlee, VT. Open year round with a fun Summer Seeker program for school agers!
- Green Mountain Children’s Center: Green Mountain Children’s Center (GMCC) offers quality child care at four campuses in Hartford, VT, and Lebanon, Claremont, Newport, NH
- You can find a list of child care providers/nanny’s that Upper Valley Moms has posted here.
Toddler Mornings Out
MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers)
Creative Spirit Children’s Center
Green Mountain Children’s Center
Abacus Preschool Mount Royal Academy
Hanover Nursery School
New Hampshire Cooperative Nursery School
Hartland Cooperative Nursery School
Indian River Nursery School
Lyme Nursery School
Mascoma Cooperative Preschool
Norwich Nursery School
Out And About Preschool Program
CCBA Preschool Program
Upper Valley Waldorf School
Woodstock Nursery School
The Little Red Schoolhouse of Montessori
Cooperative Nursery School of Haverhill
Kidsview Academy Preschool & Daycare
Newport Montessori School
- Naturally NH Kids offers a parenting and natural living newsletter. For a free subscription, call (603) 448-0226.
- Kid Stuff Magazine is a locally owned magazine run by 2 local moms that provide a wealth of information on a variety of topics.
- Valley Parents: Is The Valley News Quarterly publication and explores parenting in the Upper Valley with entertaining articles, tips and ideas of fun-filled things to do with kids and a calendar of events.
- Upper Valley Homeschool meets every Friday (from Sept-June) from 10:00-12:00 in White River Junction. Parent support meetings on 1st and 3rd Mondays from 10:00-12:00 in Lebanon. For more information, contact Dale at (603) 632-5290.
- Claremont: There is a group of homeschoolers in Claremont and surrounding towns that have been meet the first Monday evening of each month for group planning, information sharing, and support. They are working on getting a learning co-op off the ground, and they maintain a list serve for communication between meetings. For more information about the group contact Karen, at 542-2054.
- New London: Area Homeschoolers meet regularly during the school year for play dates, parent support, and public speaking. For more info contact Susan Brown at 763-3063
- Newport: NHA (Newport Homeschool Association) and they meet bi-weekly to set up field trips, events and to support each other! Contact Tanna Cota at email@example.com
- Upper Valley Homeschoolers meet at W. Lebanon Congregational Church on Maple St. in W. Lebanon, every Wednesday from 9:30-1, for classes and social time. Families come from throughout the Upper Valley, in both New Hampshire and Vermont. Please contact Dale Shields at 603-632-5290 or Dave Kovaka at 603-298-2993 or Faye Grearson at 603-443-5131.
- Upper Valley Home School Connections also has a yahoo group you can join to connect with local parents.
Car Seat Safety Inspection Centers
- The Woman’s Health Resource Center: On the Mall, Lebanon (603) 650-2600
- DHMC Injury Prevention Center: Colburn Hill, Lebanon (877) 783-0432
- Hartford Police Dept: 812 VA Cutoff Road, White River Junction (802) 295-9425
- Windsor County Sheriff: 62 Pleasant Street, Woodstock (802) 457-5212
- Carseatdata.org is a great site to check out when purchasing car seats since. This site has a data base filled with information on how different seats will fit in your vehicle. Just select the make and model of your vehicle and it will provide your with which seats fit best.
- Car-safety.org is a great site to answer all your car seat questions. Extended rear facing questions? Installation questions? What seat to purchase? What seat fits my child best or what seat will last my child the longest? The pros at this site can answer all these questions and more.
- Use this link to find a car seat inspection center near you.
- Be sure to watch this helpful video! Buckle Up Baby: How to buckle your baby in a 5 point harness.
A Helping Hand or Places to Volunteer
- Hannah’s House provides residential support services for pregnant and parenting youth in New Hampshire and Vermont.
- The Haven is a non-profit organization that provides emergency shelter, food, clothing, and educational programming to those in need.
- Listen Centers provides services and support to meet the critical needs of Upper Valley
- Cheap Kids (Orford, NH) 603-353-9212
- Abby’s Closet (Lebanon, NH) 603-448-3100
- Kids & More (Quechee, VT) 802-281-2210
- Babies 2 Tots (Enfield, NH) (603) 398-3998
- New Hampshire: Healthy Kids Program
- Vermont: Green Mountain Care and Dr. Dynasaur (Vermont’s SCHIP Program)
Cloth Diaper Resources
- The Woman’s Health Resource Center sells Cotton Babies products (Flip, BumGenius) along with cloth diaper accessories, wetbags, soap nuts, diaper sprayers, cloth wipes and cloth swim diapers.
- Green Earth Baby Works offers Cloth Diaper Service to Hanover & Lebanon.
- Diaperswappers.com and clothdiapernation.com are both excellent sites to check out with lots of great advice and information relating to cloth diapering.
Classes for Babies, Toddlers and Children
Little Ninos: Spanish for Tots and Children. (603) 340-5393
Mommy & Me Yoga at Ancient Healing Arts Yoga Studio
Creative Movement School of Dance (W. Lebanon) 603-298-5700
Upper Valley School of Gymnastics (Norwich) 802-649-1331
Jenkins Dance & Gymnastics (Claremont & Sunapee) 603-542-9413
Pioneer Gymnastics (Newport) 603-863-8344
Other Local Resources